Powered By Blogger

Sunday 17 April 2011

Q is home

Yesterday, the first day of a much anticipated two weeks' holiday, dawned rather earlier than ideal but mitigated by the fact that it was time to go and collect Q from stud. He whinnied as soon as he saw us and I must admit, a glad tear or two were shed in the reunion. He's looking glorious, having been given a bath on Friday and was all shiny and ready to go home, having deposited some 17 doses in the liquid nitrogen tank that constitutes the stud's sperm bank, test thawed and apparently very good quality. I must say that the stud has been absolutely fantastic and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Upon arrival back at Luso Towers Q did of course strut off the trailer after the fashion of a man who has discovered the joys of sex, albeit with a dummy mare, an AV and several human attendants. The expression on T's face was quite priceless and there followed the inevitable squealing, snorting exchange as they caught up on two weeks' worth of news. We left T in his pen while Q was turned out and there followed quite a glorious display of stallion vitality and joie de vivre as Q pranced around making sure that everything was as it should be and they continued their re-association with a staring contest, more snorting and the throwing of numerous impressive shapes - big trots from Q and repeated caprioles form T, while Knickers and I held our collective breaths and hoped that T would not undo all the work that has gone into his rehab.

Speaking of T's rehab, he has been coping well being out in a small pen made of electric rope in his summer paddock, but we weren't at all sure that this would be viable when Q came back. I therefore decided to conduct the inevitable greeting over the fence in a controlled fashion, keeping T on a long rope. Anticipating an aerial element to the proceedings, I even put on my riot gear (ok, my hat and a glove) but I need not have worried. It was quite civilsed and T was returned to his pen.

Q spent the next hour or so pacing up and down, up and down the fence line, so I decided to put him out in his summer paddock near the other horses , wondering how it would go with he and T sharing a fence line. Well it was ok, T is being surprisingly sensible and Q soon left to graze after coming out with a good few strides of Spanish walk, while I cleaned out the water trough. Next thing I know, the lower line of electric fence started jumping around and I looked up to see Q with a front leg caught in it, on his knees. Argh. This has happened before though so I wasn't too worried, and in short order he freed himself and took off snorting doing the most amazing Spanish trot! It was quite spectacular and I only wish I had a camera with me. Needless to say, a minor fence repair was called for but thereafter they all settled down. Later when I went to bring Q in I noticed him herding the others, neck low and snaking. I've not seen him do that before. Will ride him today and ensure that he remains fully cognisant of his place in the proceedings.

Meanwhile, we've opened up the field shelter in the mares' field and they stayed out for the first time last night. We were a bit cautious as they all piled on their on the first day of Gualter's turn out, and he was cornered and booted by Xacra. Now however things have settled down and all seemed to be well.

We had a fab meal last night to celebrate my birthday: Knickers prepared a fab table and we tucked into a gorgeous Thai feast that Sid made of beef and mushroom salad, cashew chicken and mango & lime fool, with a very nice Margaux to wash it down. Nom. A day to feel very blessed indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment