Powered By Blogger

Thursday 21 February 2013

Some thoughts about the sharing of principles

"Studies show more people are able to stay active in animal advocacy with a lower level shock value on these pictures. So many good animal advocates are lost when they could have helped so much. But if you misuse your power and throw pictures in our laps of gory, horrifying, shocking slaughter photos without one petition, or one cause, or one movement or action, well then you're just risking losing the people who could have helped you, by being repulsive for no reason except to share someone else's report. Where is this exactly or who is responsible, no one knows. Don't risk burnout of those who really care by abusing your issuing powers." - D.M.

This is a very interesting point to consider. On the one hand, for me it has been life-changing because it sent me back to vegetarianism and giving up milk and as much dairy as possible, and I am very happy for that. On the other, sometimes I really can't handle it. In my view it is a social responsibility to be aware of the repercussions that one's actions have and to make an informed choice instead of one dictated by social standards, and act accordingly. But I kind of have a foot in each camp. I don't believe myself to be a "lemon sucker" as a result because I've taken the trouble to find out and make my choices by confronting things I find deeply disturbing and unpalatable. But sometimes I still can't handle it. For the most part though I would rather put myself through it for the awareness than not.

I've also been thinking about that continuum of hypocrisy on which we as animal lovers all exist. There are those who define themselves as animal lovers yet eat meat at one end and committed vegans who seek to eschew all forms of cruelty from their lives at the other, and all manner of variations in between. At the moment I can only truthfully define myself as being somewhere in between. Finding that dairy is really no better than meat, I have given up milk and dairy products - with the notable exception of cheese. I don't eat meat and I am actively choosing cruelty free beauty and household products, but I still wear leather. I see no reason not to eat eggs from my own happy hens but I confess to a weakness for cake which is not made from our eggs.

My point is that I know I have quite some way to go in terms of living a life that supports my principles. That said I believe passionately in being supportive of people making more ethical choices as a more positive and productive way forward than castigating them for the things they are not doing. Although I understand the passion that drives it, because I feel it myself, there is nothing more off-putting to the on-the-fencer than a militant vegan or vegetarian who persists in shoving their views down others' throats. Within that though there is still a vitally important place for raising awareness. My own choice is increasingly to share articles which are informative which might get people thinking and talking but not to share anything truly horrifying.

Consider. This time last year our household began our journey by giving up milk, after a particularly heavy discussion about the vagaries of the dairy industry and the hypocrisy involved in a position which eschews the eating of veal while drinking milk. Shortly after this I stopped eating meat because it reawakened me to the things I knew but had chosen to not think about. Hitherto we'd been getting our meat from local farm shops, the sort where you can see the animals living more natural and happy lives. But the turning point happened when it dawned on me that no matter how good the husbandry, the bottom line was that there was no avoiding that horrifying journey to the slaughterhouse, and all that entails.

When I announced that I was going vegetarian, Sid's reaction was "oh Christ"; imagining no doubt confrontations, inconvenience and a certain amount of haranguery. Don't worry, I said, I'm not going to make an issue of it if you don't. And I haven't. Neither has he.

Since then there have been some very interesting discussions that I don't believe would ever have been possible had I chosen to adopt a combative stance. The net result is a household that is roughly 90% vegetarian and a great deal more consideration on the part of the meat eaters concerning the provenance of their food. Sid, hitherto a confirmed meat eater, has been talking about giving up meat for a month. I can't tell you how awesome that is.

Something to consider, no, about the benefit of awareness and education over castigation?

No comments:

Post a Comment