Powered By Blogger

Monday 12 April 2010

Harrowing and reseeding and rolling, oh my

Sod's Law states that in spite of the fact that I have just had two weeks off, the day for harrowing, seeding and rolling the paddocks is today, my first day back at work. Originally Phil, our pet farmer, was going to come in the afternoon and I was going to ask D next door if he could bring the horses in for me to save them being stuck indoors all day. Of course, he said.

Next thing, Phil is arriving at 9am this morning. So I left the boys' doors open after giving them their supper last night to make the most of their turnout while Sid and I continued our housely doings, and rather typically after dark Q was firmly entrenched in his hay manger while T was at the bottom of the field, having struck up a friendship with one of the horses at the end (possibly a mare in season). So I went to get him in, kicking and screaming all the way (well ok, dragging his feet a bit and looking back). It kicked off a bit, quite literally as it turned out, when I closed the stable door as he was really wound up, whirling and caprioling like a mad thing :O

I made it safely to the yard and stood outside watching for a while, listening to the crashing and banging of hooves beating the living shit out of stable walls thinking "hmmm", before reaching the conclusion that this time the top door was going to have to be closed if we wanted anything resembling a stable left by morning. It's not often I feel the need to go into his stable with the reinforcements of hat and stick, but I did then. The good thing is I just have to show him the stick and he knows to settle down. It's fair to say he was a bit manic though for a while there afterwards but very good to have his feet picked out, to his credit.

So then I was thinking "hmmmm". To put them out and risk having to ask D to get a strange and potentially rampant stallion in for me, or leave them in? To leave the back top doors open, or not? In the end I decided to leave them in, and texted D to say "after all that, I've left them in". He fired back "do you want them out after Phil's finished?" Yay! Well yes please, that would be fab my friend, I appreciate that hugely.

Next thing, I get a phone call from Phil, who'd been back home to get the roller and returned to find two stallions in the fields that definitely weren't there before. Phone D. "Deeeeeeeeeeee, you know you very kindly said you'd put the boys out when Phil had finished? Well guess what..."

So in spite of my efforts to minimise hassle all round and the very kind offer of our neighbour to help out, he still has a potentially rampant stallion to wrestle into the stable. Life's like that sometimes. But I'm sure the boys will be fine. T's not normally a whirling dervish, but a pussycat.

Meanwhile I look forward to arriving home to perfectly manicured paddocks and two perturbed-looking stallions, wondering what the day was all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment